Thursday 4 December 2014

LETTER FROM A BLACK BEAUTY

  Papa,
   
    You said Lagos so I would be rich like brother Emeka, who bought a car for his mother and hired someone to drive her around the village, and Ikemefuna, the goldsmith's son, who built a house for his father. You also said I would be rich like Ifeyinwa, who opened a big store for her mother.
     Mother used to tell me every morning when we pass the store on our way to the market, that I would build a bigger store. She had high hopes for me. How is mother? How is my sister, Olanna? I know she is dreaming about Lagos. Tell her, Father, tell Olanna to stop dreaming about Lagos because it is not paradise. How are your goats and Mother's poultry? I hope you are all doing well. How is Papa Eke? He has always wanted to visit Lagos.
    You must be surprised, Father, that I have not bought a car, or built a store. I'm so sorry, Father, that i couldn't buy the car you want.
    Oh! Father, tell Olanna to stop dreaming about Lagos. You must be surprised that I say this. Don't even compare me with Ifeyinwa, she is light skinned, I am not surprised she is rich.
     It's been years now, Father. I went to school. It's no news to you that I passed my SSCE, but let me remind you. It's no news too, that I gained admission into a good university. That is where it all started, Father. I was told how beautiful i was. I was nicknamed "Beauty and the Brain", you won't know what it means. It means I am beautiful and brilliant. I Know you are smiling now.
    Father, I graduated with a first class. It means I had a very good result. First class in English Language. You must be really smiling by now. Father, I haven't gotten a job, even with my good grades.
    Father, my career as a model crashed because i am dark skinned! And i thought i was beautiful. Oh Father! I couldn't go far into acting because the light skinned ones kept getting the best roles. And i thought i was beautiful!
    My manager told me to tone up a little. He said i am beautiful, but i won't "sell" if i am dark skinned. He told me to lighten up, he said i should lighten up three shades more. Let me tell you what it means, Father. You remember Ifeyinwa, you remember she used to be very dark before she left for Lagos, and when she came back, she had become "oyibo". That is what they told me
to do. I know what you are saying now, "tufiakwa"
     My best friend, Ifeoma, the one i told you about in the previous letters, she is no longer my best friend. She has lightened up. She now rides in big cars and lives in a mansion. But she now looks pitiful with veins like green worms all over her hands and legs, and she flaunts it with pride. Her face is as pink as that of a baby pig. She doesn't talk to me because i talked about the veins
on her body.
   Father, i didn't get a job in a big company here, they said i had the skills, but not the look. But Father, I am beautiful.
    One day, before Ifeoma stopped being friends with me, we went to the market with a friend. She is also light skinned like Ifeoma. The traders were calling out to us to buy their goods. They referred to Ifeoma and her friend as
"fine sisters" "beautiful customers" and they referred to me as "dudu". I was tempted. I wanted to lighten up, but then i imagined the look on your face when you see me. I also didnt wanna end up looking like Mama Ekenne's new born pigs and later start having green veins like worms all over my body.
    You are wondering now, why i haven't talked about Jeff, my boyfriend. Jeff used to say i am his queen, that he loved my black skin. He told me not to worry, that i am the most beautiful girl he has ever seen. I was happy. Sweet, handsome Jeff loved me and my dark skin. But on my birthday, Father, i caught Jeff with another woman, and she was light skinned. As fresh as a ripe
tomato. And i thought i was his queen.
    You must be very sad now, Father. That is why you should tell Olanna to stop dreaming about Lagos, because she is as dark as me.
    What is mother doing? Cooking black soup? Maybe if she hadn't fed us with black soup, maybe we would be light skinned as her. Maybe not.
    I put money in the envelope, Father. Pay Obinna for reading the letter to you. Tell him he is free to come to Lagos. He is a man, as long as he can hustle, he has no problem.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment